On August 3, 2010 I posted a blog titled “Taming the Alien” regarding my own battle with the mid-life belly bulge and recommendations for waistline reduction. I’m pleased to say that I have been practicing everything I suggested in that article, and it’s working! I have lost 1.25 inches from my waist, dropped 5 pounds and feel exceptionally well. You can do it too.
I must warn you however, you won’t get results like mine unless you take responsibility and make a change or two in how you conduct your daily life.
Each person must decide their own path to change. Some people do well with sudden radical changes, while others need baby steps. The key is finding changes you can live with in the long term so that they become automatic habits.
Below are some of the changes that have helped me get control of my middle:
1. I found accountability and group support in this process by attending weekly Weight Watchers meetings and by leading a Waist Management with EFT class for a group of fellow business networking friends. My sister also joined Weight Watchers which allows me to cheer her progress each week too. Good coaches know how significant that accountability can be. It is important to have witnesses and leaders to share resources and keep you uplifted through the rough spots.
2. Structure I am writing down what I eat and sticking to the guidelines set by Weight Watchers for someone my age and height. I also journal my feelings and treat myself with EFT tapping when I encounter stress or have a food craving.
3. I read food labels before buying anything and now choose things high in fiber, low in calories and low in fat. I am also consciously not eating foods that contain artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup.
4. No sugar in my coffee. This may seem like a small thing, but it was keeping my body addicted to sugar. I only drink 1-2 cups per day, but when I do, I add a sprinkle of cinnamon instead.
5. Daily Exercise to manage stress and keep my body feeling good. I have been working out every single day for 30-60 minutes. Most days it is aerobics or running. At the very least, it is brisk walking. There are no days off and that is a good plan to work toward.
My big Ah-Hah came in realizing that this wasn’t as hard as I had been telling myself this would be. I have said NO to big portions, fatty/sweet treats and foods I might have ordered while dining out in the past. Once I see the calories or read a label, it usually doesn’t feel worth it because I know of a satisfying food that will work instead. I have said YES to more vegetables, sea food, fresh fruit, fat free yogurt and whole grains. I FEEL GREAT and I don’t feel deprived. You can do this too.
Figure out what you can do NOW and begin. I’m here to coach those who want more support and resources. Check out the Winning at Waist Management link on my calendar of events and plan to join me for the free class on Sept. 15 at 12:30 PM EST. See the Calendar of Events at www.theindigoconnection.com to get the details. Soon your “alien” will be shrinking too!